5 Things You Didn’t Know About Lady Antebellum’s Dave Haywood
Lady Antebellum’s Dave Haywood is known to some as the trio’s quiet one, though some might say it can be hard to get a word in edgewise around the trio’s Charles Kelley and Hillary Scott. At any rate, the multi-talented Lady A’er is celebrating his 35th birthday July 5th and some fun facts seem to be in order. To that end, here are “Five Things You Didn’t Know About Dave Haywood.”
5. Dave’s dad is Van Haywood, a highly respected dentist and professor at the Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University. One of the professor’s toothy claims to fame is his early work in the world of teeth-whitening. You might say he was helping make teeth white before making teeth white was cool.
4. Dave’s family is a pretty musical bunch. His mom taught him to play piano, in fact, and his dad taught Dave guitar. Dave’s brother Michael sings and plays various instruments, too, as does his sister Lisa, who teaches music professionally. As noted on his dad’s website, “The Haywoods are all very involved in music, playing instruments like guitar, bass, banjo, drums, piano and also singing.”
3. Dave’s musical upbringing helped him become a darn fine multi-instrumentalist. In addition to piano and guitar, Dave plays a mean mandolin and sings some pretty sweet background vocals to boot.
2. Dave and Lady Antebellum’s Charles Kelley were middle school classmates, and Dave was in a jazz band at one time with Charles’ brother Josh, a fine singer-songwriter in his own right.
1. Dave’s been known to write killer songs for other artists. Among them are Luke Bryan’s “Do I,” which he penned with Luke and Charles Kelley. Dave also co-wrote Miranda Lambert’s “Love Song” with Charles. Find that tune on Miranda’s album Revolution.
So what should you do with this newfound information? Consider shouting some of it in Dave’s direction at an upcoming Lady Antebellum concert. The trio has dates set for the coming weeks in Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania and New York, to name a few. Check out a complete list of dates here and even sign up to win a flyaway to an upcoming show.
Teddy McDonald is a fun-lovin’ country music fan man living in Nashville, Tennessee.